Monthly Run “Crows Nest”
Crows Nest was declared a town in 1876. Crows Nest Post Office opened on 1 July 1878. A branch railway line from Toowoomba, which serviced a number of sawmills and a dairying district, was finished in 1886. It is claimed by some that the town was named after an Aborigine, Jimmy Crow, who gave directions to early European settlers. He lived in a big hollow tree near the police station, which became known as Crows Nest. It became a popular overnight camp for the bullock teams hauling timber, which in turn attracted farmers and settlers. A 6-foot 6-inch high statue of Jimmy Crow was unveiled in the Centenary Park at Crows Nest. The statue was cut from a single block of Helidon freestone and weighs over one ton. An 18-foot high hollow tree stump was also moved to Centenary Park and a fig tree was planted on top so the roots could be trained around it to form a living hollow tree. It is believed to be the only memorial in Australia to an Aboriginal person after whom a town was named.
Come and meet the very friendly and accommodating staff at The Grand Old Crow Hotel!
WHEN: Sunday 24th May
TIME: 10:00am: Meet for BYO morning tea at Esk Memorial Park, cnr of Ipswich St and Highlands Street, Esk. 11:00am: Depart Esk Memorial Park for the Grand Old Crow Hotel.
WHERE: Grand Old Crow Hotel, Crows Nest.
Driving Instructions - From Esk, head west on the Esk-Hampton Road heading for Hampton. Turn right at Hampton on the New England Hwy and head for Crows Nest.
Approx travelling time: 45 mins.
COST: $20/person for a two course alternate drop lunch.
Maximum Number: 80
CONTACT: Deadline for payment is Friday 15th May. For bookings contact Terry Philip
Ph: 0488 049497 or firstname.lastname@example.org Please advise any dietary requirements.
PAYMENT: Payment can be made directly to the club’s Suncorp account:
Mercedes Benz Club of Qld Inc,
BSB 484-799, A/C 200009415 with the reference Surname/Membership No/May